A hood cover

I had a huge & ugly white under cabinet microwave that we barely used. The boys were the biggest users and used it for their frozen snacks and breakfast. So this big, yellowish appliance was on my black list for a long time. If the microwave wasn’t heavy and was one person’s job for the removal, it would have probably been in someone else’s house by now.

Long story short, it is gone! It found a new house. Hooray for both houses!

I wanted to install a hood and make a cover to give it a custom-made look. Unfortunately, I couldn’t have a ducted range hood because of the location of the stove, but fortunately, a duct free hood was cheaper than ducted one. So I bought the cheapest 30 inch white hood at $42 and had my husband install it.

 

I bought this white 30 inch duct free under cabinet hood from Home Depot.

 

 

The wall had two big holes from the old microwave. I needed to fix these first before installing the hood.

 

 

I fixed the holes using Dap White Painter’s Putty 53. Sanded them after they dried.

 

 

The plug wasn’t included, so my husband wired it to the one that we already had.

 

 

You need a wire job for this hood, but, it is not hard to do if you or somebody around you are handy.

 

 

Another picture.

 

 

My husband installed it under the cabinet while I’m holding it.

 

 

It is installed.

 

 

I headed to Lowe’s and bought a  5 mm thick plywood and some decorational wood strips (1/4″ by 1 3/8″).

For the upper cover, I cut the plywood and strips to the size that I wanted which were 26″ long and 30″ wide. I glued the wood strips on the board.

The front bottom part is 30″ wide and 5″ long to cover the hood. I attached the wood strips here as well.

Here’s a tip in case you make a similar one. Do attach the decorational strips after you install the cover, so you can fix the gaps between the wood boards.

The two sides are trapezoid shapes and the dimensions are 26″ (the front cover) by 5″ by 7 1/2″ (depth) by 29″ (the longest inside vertical length).

 

 

I cut strips and a wood board to the size that I wanted.

 

 

I glued the decorational strips to the board which were cut to the size of 30 inches by 26 inches.

 

 

Place your heavy tools on top to help the glue attach until the wood glue is fully secured.

 

 

These the are sides of the cover. The dimensions of the bottom part are 5 * 7.

 

 

I bought two of these (left and right) to hold up the cover for the hood.

 

 

I glued this wood strip to the inside of both sides to attach the folding supports.

 

 

I needed this hinge to attach the cover to the upper cabinet. It was a little longer than the size of the board, so I cut it before installing.

 

 

Nails that I used for this project.

 

 

The side part is done and is waiting to be painted.

 

 

The cover is built.

 

 

I also needed these small L shaped corner braces to attach the side of the cover to the cabinet.

 

 

I painted the sides white. This is how it looks inside of the side with the braces attached.

 

 

This is the inside of the cover. You can see the folding support is attached on the wood strips. My board cover is thin, so I needed this wood piece for the depth for the screws.

 

 

One of two pieces was installed first.

 

 

The upper part was installed.

 

 

Inside of the cover. I can open the cover when the hood in use for the warm air circulations.

 

 

The side of the cover was attached to the side of the cabinet using the braces.

 

 

When the hood is in use.

 

 

The cover is closed when it is not in use.

 

 

The hood cover is done except for some minor touch-ups.

 

 

The hood cover was done and it looked OK before I installed the cabinet doors which were not there when I was making the cover.

Now you can assume what I am about to say.

Yes, I didn’t calculate the angle of the door when they’re opened, so I couldn’t close the cabinet doors which were adjacent to the hood cover.

So, as you can guess, I couldn’t keep the cover there. Ugh!

It was my first try to make this kind of cover,so it took lot of time in spite of the unprofessional look.

So taking the cover off wasn’t that delightful or fun for me, however, I needed a different solution if I still wanted to have a cover.

So, for now, just the range hood is up there with the upper cabinet doors reinstalled  for a finished look.

I have four options now.

I can use it as it is which is my husband’s preference,

or I can buy a radiator grill from Lowe’s to cover the ugly bottom side,

or I can buy a better quality hood for a nice look,

or I can buy a smaller, (24″, online purchase only) hood and make a cover again.This time, it will be much better and easier with the prior experience.

I’m leaning to the fourth option, making another one. So I’ll update this post if I have any change with this project.

 

The total cost: $88.22

Range hood   $42.96

5 mm plywood   $10.55

Pine lattice 1/4″ by 1 3/8″   $14.40 (for three)

Brass folding supports (right, left)   $5.36

Nails   $2.60 ( for two different sizes)

Narrow hinges   $1.96 (didn’t use it)

Brass corner hinge 30″   $8.42

Corner braces 4-pk   $1.97

 

 

 

 

 

Categories: My Projects

Leave a Reply